Friday, June 8, 2012

Art... Felt Tip Pens.. Cerebral Palsy... and Bikes

Oatie's Bike Rally that he's participating in is this Sunday. Our Original target was $100, and I just kept on raising it... and I cannot believe everyone's generosity... Oatie has raised OVER $1200! He has a few more pledges to come in... and Oatie's Sister and I have made some "bling" to stick on his bike.

Oatie is amazing, he can walk about 20feet on land which is brilliant in it's self... but on his bike he can ride for over half an hour. Yesterday, he rode on our hard surface patch at home for 30 minutes and when i told him that we'd have to take him off the bike as the bus would be pulling up soon, he asked if he could ride to the end of our drive where the bus drops the kids off...

As the bus approached... all we could hear was cheering and screaming... all the kids on the bus cheered for Oatie...

I just hope the weather holds out for him...

Oatie would also like to one day do adaptive surfing... (good job I'm a swimmer and ex lifeguard!!!) and a parachute jump... he saw my photos of the one I did when I was 18... and would like to do one too, I told him he'd have to be about 18 but he said ok... oneday...

As he loves biking so much, I think that in the future, I'd like to get an adaptive Tandem bike for he/I so I could take him on the the "ride to conquer Cancer" which is a 200km bike ride... I managed a 60mile/100km London to Brighton in England when I was 11... so I am sure I could do it, if I trained hard enough... so It would have to be adapted that when he was tired he could rest his legs... but that would be so great. My friend was telling me about some triathletes who take their sibling who is unable to enter a conventional triathlon on adaptive gear so they can come too....

One thing I do know, Oatie LOVES sports, high paced action sports, he's such a sporty kid... just like my other two, I love it that we all share a passion for sports together/individually... I think giving your kid "fitness" is a precious gift these days... and I was telling another lady at swimming how the government does NOTHING to help get people who can't run up and down their stairs at home to keep fit... to keep fit.

The bike will help keep Oatie fit, as does his swimming, skating and in time his skiing will too, when he learns how to lean or control his bi-ski himself...

On a separate note... Oatie has discovered felt tipped pens.. he has crayons but really doesn't like them. The other day his big sister was colouring and she is such a sweetie she shared her felt tip pens with Oatie, they were special as she got them from her birthday... but she shared them fully and helped Oatie with the caps etc.

Oatie has discovered ART... the drawing above is of a River and the Ski Mountain!

Unlike lots of other 4/5 year olds, he is very respectful with them, he doesn't push down and damage the nibs he colours with them like he was much older.

A quietish weekend after a manic day, which consisted of swimming, getting some forms for skating tests next week, picking up my elder two, shopping for birthday gifts for their friends... home and lunch, ice skating and making birthday cards, and decorations for Oatie's bike ride... Phew! Glad it's date night...

Looking forward to a nice takeaway/take out and a film!

Hope you have a great weekend too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...